PHYTEC is NXP i.MX 8 Alpha Partner
August 22, 2017
PHYTEC has been selected as an EBS (Embedded Board Solutions) alpha partner for the innovative NXP i.MX 8 applications processor family.
PHYTEC has been selected as an EBS (Embedded Board Solutions) alpha partner for the innovative NXP i.MX 8 applications processor family. The i.MX 8 series targets multiple display automotive applications, industrial systems, vision, HMI and IoT applications. PHYTECs off-the-shelf i.MX 8 SOMs and SBCs as well as unique services including rapid prototyping, agile development services and Industry 4.0 manufacturing can be leveraged to bring i.MX 8 based applications to market quickly.
PHYTEC plans to provide scalable System on Modules in support of multiple i.MX 8 SOC versions including:
- i.MX 8QuadMax/QuadPlus/Quad
- i.MX 8Dual/DualLite
The industrial rated SOM incorporates all essential circuitry common to all embedded applications. For the i.MX 8 this circuitry includes interfaces with RAM, Flash memory, power management, LCD, Ethernet, USB and other commonly-used interfaces all within a compact, robust, EMC design. The SOM can be designed into a custom application and interfaced to from robust board-to-board connectors or from a Direct Solder Connect (DSC) footprint.
PHYTEC will also offer a full scope of kits for start-up, evaluation and rapid development around our i.MX 8 Series board-level products. Standard kits will include:
- phyCORE-i.MX 8 SOM
- Carrier Board with fully validated circuitries and standard connectors for all common interfaces and peripheral features of the i.MX 8, usable as a development platform as well as reference design for end user carrier board designs
- Kit variants in support of multiple operating systems:
- Linux: Yocto environment with pre-installed and configured packages such as QT-Libs, OpenGL and Python
- QNX, freeRTOS and other software available upon request
- Rich documentation: Hardware Manual, QuickStart Instructions, Application Guides, Software Application Examples
PHYTEC plans to offer a production-ready phyBOARD Single Board Computer based on the phyCORE-i.MX8 SOM that is mounted to a Carrier Board for break-out of I/O. In Pico-ITX form factor, the phyBOARD SBC is suited for deployment into a wide range of robust industrial applications. The SBC includes common interfaces such Ethernet, CAN, RS-232, USB, SD, and Audio but is also expandable through functional add-ons for WiFi, GSM, and displays.
In addition, the phyBOARD SBC has been designed for easy customization and adaptation for specific end use cases and vertical market deployments.
Beyond standard kit offerings, PHYTEC also plans to support a Machine Vision and Camera kit to harnesses the power of the i.MX 8 multimedia features. In addition this includes:
- i.MX 8 focus: GPU: Vulkan, OGL; VPU; Display and Camera I/O: MIPI-DSI, MIPI-CSI, HDMI, LVDS
- Application examples for machine vision
PHYTEC will offer continuous software integration and support for our phyCORE SOM and phyBOARD SBC platforms for the i.MX 8. This will include BSPs releases concurrent to NXP branches, as well as drivers for additional peripherals and circuitries. PHYTEC uses Yocto for modular management of all build tools and meta-layer dependencies. This software approach delivers customizable machine configurations in support of evolving hardware features, and avoids weeks of software integration prior to prototype bring-up.
Please get in touch with us to receive more information about the i.MX 8 product family and discuss your project with us.